Skip to main content

The thrill of the hilly labyrinth!



Since my childhood days, I have explored and engrossed myself in the world of books. The black on white is what I did everyday- sometimes out of love for reading and sometimes by force of habit. Apart from books, my family was my sole driver and this never left space for anything else. So, when Joy asked me to accompany the Hiking club, I agreed. Somewhere, I felt I wanted to wander even though I wasn't lost! I regretted this decision many times before we left for the trek. How could I lead a group of 18 students,with no ‘experience’ in hiking?
Little did I know that the students I am going with, never needed a leader! They had done all their ground work to increase their stamina and were now ready to take on the challenges the mountains posed to them. Right from shoes, 18-kg rucksacks, warm jackets to headlights and gloves, they had prepped up suitably. They had planned the trek with as much precision possible- enquiring about the weather everyday, plotting all feasible routes and arranging rucksacks for everyone. While this may be one of the many treks they have done, I was a dilettante in this field- nervous yet excited. 
Each day started with packing sleeping bags, crawling out of tents to feel the cramped legs and arms and then, a hot cup of tea/hot chocolate to de-frost. This was followed by daily chores and a thorough clean up and pack-up of tents. This prepared us enough for the adventure ahead. The toughest day of the trek was when we moved from Lamadugh campsite towards Riyali Thatch. Leaving the treeline behind around mid-day, we had to hike up a snow covered peak called Khanpuri Tibba. As we began, I started to feel way too exhausted with aching shoulders, running nose, dried throat and nearly empty stomach. That’s when nervousness enveloped and the scare of ending up as a liability for the group struck me.The oxygen levels were lower and a lot of effort went into every step. A little bit of water to hydrate my body and a motivating nudge from Enosh who said, ”Mam, the trick is to NOT look up!” was enough to start again. As I bent forward a little to distribute the weight of rucksack over my back, I could walk faster. With the confidence creeping in, I looked up and a spectacular sight made my heart skip a beat. The God’s light, the near-parallel sun beams coming from the clouds (also called crepuscular rays), was right infront of me. It reminded me of a scene from the movie ‘Into the Wild’ where the old man’s last message to his friend Christopher is that,”When you forgive, you love and when you love, God’s light shines on you!” I paused to ease my breath and imagined taking as much oxygen in the air surrounding me. At that moment, I felt as if I could hold ‘infinity in the palm of my hand and eternity in an hour’. The reason for this ecstasy was that I was amidst all bounties of nature - snow covered peaks glistening in sunlight, gushing sound of water with not a stream in sight and the steep slope on the right hand side as if challenging us to look down. One couldn’t see even a speck of smirch and filth anywhere. When you witness the panache of mighty mountains, you realise how tiny and miniscule you are. At the same time, you feel very light because you can shed the layers of societally imposed pieces and just stand in wonder. No expectations, no complications and no obligations! Quoting right out of Shakespeare, “When comes such another?”

Resisting the temptation of divulging the little details, I shall jump right into the priceless lessons I learnt out of those.
1. Warmth can be found in the coldest of places. We had the good luck of receiving the warm hospitality of a bruno-black Himalayan dog who chose to give us company during the bonfire session. I even heard him growling at the approaching mules in the night when we were all resting in our tents. 
2. You may be beaten and bruised but you can’t be broken, if you are to clasp the winning point. The everyday thrill of diverse terrain, higher peaks and steeper slopes forced many of us to just keep pushing ourselves to limits unknown to us.
3. Sitzfleisch is all that is needed to ace a race. Mountains dare you using different variations of face-off with a point of no return! When you are walking on a steep trail with snow all around, there is no escape.

To sum up, I think we had the much-needed rejuvenating and refreshing break from mundane and busy city life. All of us, I would like to believe, were so engrossed in capturing every moment that the upcoming tough trails didn’t bother us. The best way, therefore, to leave the ghosts of the past and fears of the future is to immerse ourselves in the present as if nothing mattered more.
I don't have an appropriate line or aphorism to conclude this account, so I shall say, “Choose to dare!”
(the slogan of Hiking Club, St. Stephen's College)

Comments

  1. Akshita, You are going to be a best-selling author one day. It was a pleasant read, again. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your profile name is coming as 'Unknown'. May I know who is this?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An exam, after all!

It is an exam, she had been told! Some meticulous planning, scheduling and studying Nothing she hadn't aced before School and college work had been rewarding It is yet another exam, after all! Like always, there shall be no stone unturned Read and write for long stretches Stretches and walks in short breaks Selective study as per the marks it fetches Just an exam, after all! More sweat in training meant less blood in battle Day and night wasn't as per the position of sun anymore Portions of syllabus covered decided its end Notes and questions more important than any chore Exam wont wait for her, it wont! This was the time to make things happen Revise and re-revise till facts form a chain A lot was left to summarise and memorise Till each detail has a GPS pin in the brain Exam was coming close, it was! Questions became black holes with no limits to depth Oh wait, not just the recollection and memory She also had to brush her writing skills How is today's politics affected

Jo, you there?

Jo sat down on her table, the one beside the window. She could see her mother nourish the plants in the garden with water, just the way she had nurtured her daughters to be the women they are now. Grateful for the blessings, she turned to pen the thoughts welling up in her mind. Today, it was about ‘LOVE’ to her 50 year old self. ------ Dear oldie Jo, Hope you have your perfectly brewed coffee by your side! Love to you was an unknown notion-something that wasn’t much heard of during dinner table conversations or talked about in school or college. Like the rest, you did hear your pals and peers talk about it and experience it based on their instinct. While you understood the mindspace they came from, you didn’t feel the need to experiment. In the early years of adulthood, love seemed too superfluous to you. And in some proportions, you considered it as a distraction that would take you away from yourself and your family. Without judging others, you still felt very sure

A girl like you

A frantic nudge on the back was enough to wake me up and disturb my deep peaceful slumber time. Before I realised, it was my sister who had seen a bad dream and wanted me to help her go back to sleep. I hugged her closer to myself and mumbled to her that tomorrow morning will be better than today. Within a few minutes, she was asleep on my arm and I kept looking at her 10-year old face for a long time. I wished, then, that she always remain this close to me as she was at that moment. Till now, my wish has unfolded into an eventful journey.  If I was gentle and all nice, she was all about sass, jazz and spice; If I was reserved and introverted, she was social and ‘Noddy’–incarnated;  If I liked uni-colour cloth patches, she carried shiny dresses with unmatched panache; If I found peace in nature and solitude, she preferred blaring music and lots of DJ dance; If I savoured plain idli and chutney, she gormandized on mysore masala dosa and spicy sambar. The two of us have