Skip to main content

A place, a friend, a feeling!


A solo visit to Bangalore was a rather impromptu decision made by my mother who thought I needed a break. I didnt have too many expectations because the friend I was going to visit is in a private firm with demanding office hours. During the bus ride from the airport, I was musing along the lines of having multiple cups of kaapi (filter coffee), reading random magazines and enjoying the pleasant weather. I even downloaded the recent version of Adobe reader to assure myself of some excitement.

Staring outside the window, I tried to capture as much as I could as a photograph-in-motion. I noticed that Bengaluru is an urban area which has not yet lived up to the distinction of a 'city'. The land, lakes and trees crave for some me-time but the people consider theirs more important. The IT boom that took birth in this city has now given offsprings in form of malls, highways and countless vehicles. The pedestrians find it hard to walk on the side as there are few roads with parallel footpaths. Yet there are those pockets of rich biodiversity that stand rock-solid despite knowing that the high-rise buildings are now coming closer to them. These mini bio-reserves are community-managed and are often called the 'lungs of the city'. 
As soon as I got down the bus right infront of her office, I saw her standing across the road. I felt so light that moment; as if I had dropped my load of worries somewhere on the way. I hugged her tight feeling a fresh sense of revival even though it was a busy traffic road. We had so much to talk at that instant but we kept smiling at each other. She took me to the cafe in her company area having a nerve-soothing ambience, where I had my first cup of kaapi! The first sip was enough to prove that Kaapi is not coffee, its an emotion! 
The catching-up was long overdue so we ignored the ticking of the clock and the setting of the sun! While we disclosed the things that troubled us, delighted us and amazed us, there were moments of quick laughter. We force fed each other on fruits and snacks, just like ol' times!

Next morning, we went for a stroll around Kaikondrahalli Lake near Sarjapur road that turned out to be a perfect welcome for me! I couldn't stop gazing at the beautifully-hued painted storks, the fish-tailed bird called drongo and the eye-catching pelicans. A painted stork caught our attention when it was trying to swallow a big fish which was difficult for the stork to take in. The stork tried twisting it at all angles to fit it in but she had to let it go as the eagles were now circling from above. I guess sometime we overestimate our own abilities, the ability to overcome our fears the ability to handle it all on our own. Maybe if the stork had a friend, they could have shared a sumptuous meal! Later in the day, I went solo touring around Bangalore- the metro, the people, the cafes and the bookshops. I see a distinctive difference in people- more polite and less inquisitive. I was also happy to see that majority of the staff at metro stations were females which is an empowering signal. Just then a woman walks past me with a tee saying,"The future is female." My body just felt an extra dash of dopamine release! Coming back to the sightseeing, I visited the local silk handloom outlets, the high-walled Bangalore fort and the pillaried Tipu Sultan's residence. The Vidhan Soudha building is magnificent in its expanse and the inscription "Government's work is God's work" added to its grandeur. 

The next day my friend took me to a place I can't forget. The Karnataka government deluxe bus for Chikmagluru (244 km away from Bangalore) was an extremely comfortable ride. The coconut palm trees were planted just like the soldiers standing for their upcoming march; identical and equidistant. I could see the husk around the bottom of the tree which, I learnt, helps in preserving the moisture.  Our first bullet on the travel list was the highest peak in Karnataka - Mullyangiri peak. Due to the rain, mist and high-speed wind, we couldn't reach till the peak. I was the hesitant one and felt the guilt of spoiling my friend's expedition.  She, however, helped me understand that one may feel the itch of being over-cautious or lax but atleast one can have something to look forward to; to come back and scale the peak one day with the very same friend! While she seemed disappointed, she looked me in the eye and said that she will get over it like many other disappointments in her life. Little does she know that she is no where close to being one in my life!
Our next stopover was the coffee plantations in a cosy accommodation called Zostel. The two varieties of coffee- arabica and robusta coexist here. While Robusta has bigger (read 'Robust'!) leaves, Arabica gets the coffee beans earlier. We learnt that coffee is cultivated with tall trees as direct sunlight is not desirable. The plantation had silver oak on which the pepper climbers were wound. So, wherever our eyes roamed, all we saw was a enthralling fusion of sage, shamrock, parakeet, emerald and seafoam - different shades of green! What a pristine view!  If the description isn't enough, I saw those lush green plantations in my dreams for two nights in a row.

As the trip came to a close, I couldn't thank my friend enough for going that extra mile to make my visit memorable. Her gracious gestures and possessive postures can make anyone feel special! I read somewhere-
            
   "You can pack for every occasion but a good friend will always be the best thing you could bring!"

Thank you, Maddie! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An exam, after all!

It is an exam, she had been told! Some meticulous planning, scheduling and studying Nothing she hadn't aced before School and college work had been rewarding It is yet another exam, after all! Like always, there shall be no stone unturned Read and write for long stretches Stretches and walks in short breaks Selective study as per the marks it fetches Just an exam, after all! More sweat in training meant less blood in battle Day and night wasn't as per the position of sun anymore Portions of syllabus covered decided its end Notes and questions more important than any chore Exam wont wait for her, it wont! This was the time to make things happen Revise and re-revise till facts form a chain A lot was left to summarise and memorise Till each detail has a GPS pin in the brain Exam was coming close, it was! Questions became black holes with no limits to depth Oh wait, not just the recollection and memory She also had to brush her writing skills How is today's politics affected

Jo, you there?

Jo sat down on her table, the one beside the window. She could see her mother nourish the plants in the garden with water, just the way she had nurtured her daughters to be the women they are now. Grateful for the blessings, she turned to pen the thoughts welling up in her mind. Today, it was about ‘LOVE’ to her 50 year old self. ------ Dear oldie Jo, Hope you have your perfectly brewed coffee by your side! Love to you was an unknown notion-something that wasn’t much heard of during dinner table conversations or talked about in school or college. Like the rest, you did hear your pals and peers talk about it and experience it based on their instinct. While you understood the mindspace they came from, you didn’t feel the need to experiment. In the early years of adulthood, love seemed too superfluous to you. And in some proportions, you considered it as a distraction that would take you away from yourself and your family. Without judging others, you still felt very sure

A girl like you

A frantic nudge on the back was enough to wake me up and disturb my deep peaceful slumber time. Before I realised, it was my sister who had seen a bad dream and wanted me to help her go back to sleep. I hugged her closer to myself and mumbled to her that tomorrow morning will be better than today. Within a few minutes, she was asleep on my arm and I kept looking at her 10-year old face for a long time. I wished, then, that she always remain this close to me as she was at that moment. Till now, my wish has unfolded into an eventful journey.  If I was gentle and all nice, she was all about sass, jazz and spice; If I was reserved and introverted, she was social and ‘Noddy’–incarnated;  If I liked uni-colour cloth patches, she carried shiny dresses with unmatched panache; If I found peace in nature and solitude, she preferred blaring music and lots of DJ dance; If I savoured plain idli and chutney, she gormandized on mysore masala dosa and spicy sambar. The two of us have