Skip to main content

In Mata's Durbar!

Up on the hills in Katra, Vaishno Mata resides in a cave blessing her devotees wherever they are. Vaishnodevi Bhawan can be reached after a trek of 13 km from Katra. More than 10 million devotees come to pay obeisance to Mata . Over the years, this number has increased exponentially which is why the need for a Management Board was felt. Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Board is headed by the chairman (Governor of the state) who is assisted by a Chief Executive Officer and other subordinate officers. So, there is a strong administrative backbone which aids the smooth functioning of the pilgrimage. 
Having visited the shrine quite often since childhood, I have noticed the very minute as well as drastic changes taking place in this area. My father had the priceless opportunity of serving in the board for 7 years. Last month, my father took me for a short visit for he loves to keep going back to Mata. As we started off, I could see his face gleaming with pride I rarely get to see. One of the officers who worked under him accompanied us because my father had many questions to ask. He hadn't come here since he was relieved of this responsibility. 
Right near the entrance, I saw the mule gas plant which helped to convert the mule and horse dung into gas after dung treatment as mule dung is acidic. My father proudly proclaimed that after the setting up of this plant, they were able to get rid of two miseries. One, there was lesser demand for fuelwood and also the track was cleaner as the dung was sent to the plant. I was half amazed till I saw the channels which diverted the dung from the track to the plant which is at a lower ground. Moreover, the gas was used in Langar to feed devotees and other needy people. 
Moving on, there are shops on both sides of the track which sell a variety of goods like dry fruits, Mata souvenirs, Kashmiri clothes and of course eating joints. Here, I saw something absolutely new this time. There were shops allowing people to sit on massage chairs with a nominal charge of ₹ 50 per hour. Now, that's creativity. Most of the pilgrims come all the way from railway station with the bags on their backs. For such people, it is a true panacea for their pain. I realised then that this shop owner would be the best teacher on entrepreneurship.
I must say that the track upto the cave is an ideal precursor, for every step you take, it is as if the divine is calling you closer towards her. Probably when I say this, it might sound shallow for I am young and the physical strength is on my side. But an octogenarian couple who refused to get on to the 'Palki' when requested by their children is sure an indication of the immense power in Mata. Surprisingly, this devotion seems to have found a soft corner in my father's heart as well. 
As we treaded the holy path, I saw many pitthoos (luggage carriers) and pony owners wishing my father. Puzzled, I asked him how he was so well known amongst these workers. That's when I got to know that these workers have a strong union who have fought for their rights every time they felt injustice was being done. My father narrated another instance to emphasise how it important it is for progress to be bottom-up rather than top-down because trickle down effects hardly show up. The story goes like this. The Board decided to make a dedicated mule track so that the pilgrims who are going by foot don't have to smell the dung of the four legged creatures. Parallely, battery cars were started so that the old and differently abled people can have a easy ride. This move made the pitthoos angry as it deprived them of their business (meagre as it is). The administration had to intervene by stating that battery cars can't carry luggage and if any such car is found, the driver's permit would be withdrawn. This wasn't enough when pony owners got disgruntled saying that battery cars took away their clientele as the latter makes the journey shorter. In order to resolve this matter, the Board first kept a portion of the path exclusively for the ponies and the latter was now open to both ponies and battery cars. Also, the track where both could operate had two separate branches so that chances of conflict are minimal. The pony owners were also given other incentives like regularisation of jobs and residential tenements in Katra. Now the pony owners, pithoos and the battery cars are co-existing peacefully. 
When we reached the cave, my father bowed down and I followed him. I heard him mumbling,"Mata, apna dhyan rakhna!"  I was so overwhelmed. "Jai Mata Di" echoes in my heart as I think about that day. 
This piece is dedicated to all those aspirants who want to make a difference to the lives of their fellow citizens. As a bureaucrat, your contribution is instrumental in making lives brighter and happier eradicating all such bottlenecks impeding our nation's progress. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exam, after all!

It is an exam, she had been told! Some meticulous planning, scheduling and studying Nothing she hadn't aced before School and college work had been rewarding It is yet another exam, after all! Like always, there shall be no stone unturned Read and write for long stretches Stretches and walks in short breaks Selective study as per the marks it fetches Just an exam, after all! More sweat in training meant less blood in battle Day and night wasn't as per the position of sun anymore Portions of syllabus covered decided its end Notes and questions more important than any chore Exam wont wait for her, it wont! This was the time to make things happen Revise and re-revise till facts form a chain A lot was left to summarise and memorise Till each detail has a GPS pin in the brain Exam was coming close, it was! Questions became black holes with no limits to depth Oh wait, not just the recollection and memory She also had to brush her writing skills How is today's politics affected

Jo, you there?

Jo sat down on her table, the one beside the window. She could see her mother nourish the plants in the garden with water, just the way she had nurtured her daughters to be the women they are now. Grateful for the blessings, she turned to pen the thoughts welling up in her mind. Today, it was about ‘LOVE’ to her 50 year old self. ------ Dear oldie Jo, Hope you have your perfectly brewed coffee by your side! Love to you was an unknown notion-something that wasn’t much heard of during dinner table conversations or talked about in school or college. Like the rest, you did hear your pals and peers talk about it and experience it based on their instinct. While you understood the mindspace they came from, you didn’t feel the need to experiment. In the early years of adulthood, love seemed too superfluous to you. And in some proportions, you considered it as a distraction that would take you away from yourself and your family. Without judging others, you still felt very sure

A girl like you

A frantic nudge on the back was enough to wake me up and disturb my deep peaceful slumber time. Before I realised, it was my sister who had seen a bad dream and wanted me to help her go back to sleep. I hugged her closer to myself and mumbled to her that tomorrow morning will be better than today. Within a few minutes, she was asleep on my arm and I kept looking at her 10-year old face for a long time. I wished, then, that she always remain this close to me as she was at that moment. Till now, my wish has unfolded into an eventful journey.  If I was gentle and all nice, she was all about sass, jazz and spice; If I was reserved and introverted, she was social and ‘Noddy’–incarnated;  If I liked uni-colour cloth patches, she carried shiny dresses with unmatched panache; If I found peace in nature and solitude, she preferred blaring music and lots of DJ dance; If I savoured plain idli and chutney, she gormandized on mysore masala dosa and spicy sambar. The two of us have