Skip to main content

A Paw-some start


Yes, it has finally started! I prayed to God to give her strength to bear the highest intensity of agony for my pet was now experiencing labour ache. As she wreathed in pain, clueless about why all this was happening to her, I witnessed the miraculous dog-birth sitting right next to her. It was so divine to see a small living being giving birth to four new lives. I was reminded of a line in a poem by Tagore “Each new birth is a signal that God is yet not discouraged of earthly beings.”


My pet had been carrying the pups for two long months now and was extremely restless for the last three nights. She kept tossing left to right as if something was troubling her internally. Actually, it were the pups kicking their mother from inside; eager to see the colourful world outside! 
My internet-read-knowledge said that when the pup is completely out of the mother’s body, the mother dog cuts the umbilical cord herself and licks the pup to initiate the first cry. However, Koffy on the other hand, cut the cord with her teeth and rushed to another room, groaning in pain. I gradually opened up each of the membranes and wiped the pups with a soft towel. Even though I was scared and nervous about Koffy’s delivery, God gave me the strength to caress the pups and clean their bodies which were smeared in blood. My pet’s delivery was surely an uncommon one. After reading snippets on pet-care blogs, I found out that dogs who are extremely attached to their owners don’t like their pups and consider them as their own rivals.

Take 1: Mother versus the kids
After the delivery of the four pups, we thought Koffy would recognize her offsprings as her pain wouldn’t be there anymore. However, our ex-ante expectations didn’t quite match the ex-post outcome. Koffy wouldn’t even go in the room where the pups were kept in a soft cardboard box. She would bark and run helter-skelter when any of us would touch her pups. Our conclusion was that the attention she always received from us was now being divided; and this was not something she was able to tolerate. There is no doubt that Koffy is pampered a lot by all of us. The perfect cuddling pillow for my father, an ideal daughter for my mother, a toddling toy for my sister and the ever-so-energetic running companion for me! 
She hesitated to touch them, snuffed as and when she heard them squeal and hid herself in anger behind pots when we tended to the pups. We had to force her to feed the pups so that the pups don’t die of cold or weakness. Amusingly, she would carry all her belongings like her winter coats, her snack packets and comb in my mother’s almirah so that the pups don’t take them away. But the poor pups hadn’t even opened their eyes yet. All her actions expressed her deep anguish for these new members in our family.

Disturbed by her indifference, Mom and I would often talk to the pups saying, “Oh!, you are our darling Koffy’s pups! You sure are adorable but not more than our Koffy”. So, the strategy was that we will give a lot of exclusive attention to Koffy especially when the pups are in the same room. Gradually, Koffy understood that her place in our home was unparalleled and she started to sniff the puppies’ box. The next morning, we saw her sleeping on the carpet next to the pups.
My mom and I exchanged a sigh of relief for the mother’s love was finally showing up.


Take 2: Mother and kids versus everyone else
She guards the room where the pups are sleeping. She makes sure that she has fed the pups once before having her own meal. She nudges us to let them out of the box whenever they begin to cry for milk. She licks each of them while milking so as to stop their sobbing. As anyone would have noticed, the pups love this gesture and cuddle up even closer to their mother’s body.  Even after they had their share of ilk, she continues to sit with them as if enjoying their company. She hates to go out of the house for 10 minutes also because she feels that the pups may need her. When there is a guest at our place, she makes sure that she doesn’t let them enter the puppy room. So, touching/seeing the pups is a strict ‘no’ for all newcomers.


Having seen this whole role-reversal, I realized that once you feel secure about the love you receive, it is a lot easier to give love to others. Soon, attachment grows with time and we are able to spread more happiness. We have noticed that she stays a lot more preoccupied and happy the whole day.
I learnt another valuable lesson; which is that everybody who is close to you wishes to feel indispensable for you. Nobody wants to be ‘replaceable’ and so we must respect each of our loved ones for being in our lives.
I was amazed to see how mute animals can say so much without talking. We, humans, are blessed with speech to express our heart-felt emotions; yet we either keep them locked inside or use the wrong ways. And then it may be too late to fill the void we created on our own.  
Last but not the least, I understood that the more you give love, the more it comes back to you. Who starts the cycle of love is immaterial but who keeps the wheel moving is all that matters.


Whilst the tender pups grow into handsome dogs and gorgeous bitches, I wish a fulfilling and satisfying motherhood for my lovable pet, Koffy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exam, after all!

It is an exam, she had been told! Some meticulous planning, scheduling and studying Nothing she hadn't aced before School and college work had been rewarding It is yet another exam, after all! Like always, there shall be no stone unturned Read and write for long stretches Stretches and walks in short breaks Selective study as per the marks it fetches Just an exam, after all! More sweat in training meant less blood in battle Day and night wasn't as per the position of sun anymore Portions of syllabus covered decided its end Notes and questions more important than any chore Exam wont wait for her, it wont! This was the time to make things happen Revise and re-revise till facts form a chain A lot was left to summarise and memorise Till each detail has a GPS pin in the brain Exam was coming close, it was! Questions became black holes with no limits to depth Oh wait, not just the recollection and memory She also had to brush her writing skills How is today's politics affected

Jo, you there?

Jo sat down on her table, the one beside the window. She could see her mother nourish the plants in the garden with water, just the way she had nurtured her daughters to be the women they are now. Grateful for the blessings, she turned to pen the thoughts welling up in her mind. Today, it was about ‘LOVE’ to her 50 year old self. ------ Dear oldie Jo, Hope you have your perfectly brewed coffee by your side! Love to you was an unknown notion-something that wasn’t much heard of during dinner table conversations or talked about in school or college. Like the rest, you did hear your pals and peers talk about it and experience it based on their instinct. While you understood the mindspace they came from, you didn’t feel the need to experiment. In the early years of adulthood, love seemed too superfluous to you. And in some proportions, you considered it as a distraction that would take you away from yourself and your family. Without judging others, you still felt very sure

A girl like you

A frantic nudge on the back was enough to wake me up and disturb my deep peaceful slumber time. Before I realised, it was my sister who had seen a bad dream and wanted me to help her go back to sleep. I hugged her closer to myself and mumbled to her that tomorrow morning will be better than today. Within a few minutes, she was asleep on my arm and I kept looking at her 10-year old face for a long time. I wished, then, that she always remain this close to me as she was at that moment. Till now, my wish has unfolded into an eventful journey.  If I was gentle and all nice, she was all about sass, jazz and spice; If I was reserved and introverted, she was social and ‘Noddy’–incarnated;  If I liked uni-colour cloth patches, she carried shiny dresses with unmatched panache; If I found peace in nature and solitude, she preferred blaring music and lots of DJ dance; If I savoured plain idli and chutney, she gormandized on mysore masala dosa and spicy sambar. The two of us have